How to connect with your Oracle database without installing Oracle Client?
Did you ever get frustrated when you want to connect with your oracle database, but you have to install everything from oracle client software cd and waste for hundreds megs only to get connect with your database?
Now, those day were past.
After trial and error, I found more simple way to get TOAD, TORA (3rd party software for manage your database).
These explanation, only a sample to get work with 3rd party software like TOAD,SQLplus,TORA in order to connect with oracle database, I was run it on Windows XP Pro service pack 3, with TOAD ver 184.108.40.206, edit my environment with notepad, and a cup of tea ?
In summary, you could get sqlplus command line and your TOAD run flawlessly without have to install oracle clients (*huraaa*).
- Download from oracle website for instant client software (http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html)
if you use end user windows, simply drive your click into http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html
- Choose for latest suitable version for your own. On my version, I have to use Version 10.2.0.4, cause latest version (Version 220.127.116.11.0) not work for OCI.dll issue that not support for Version 18.104.22.168.0.
- After ACCEPT the license agreement above, Download instant client package –basic (35Mb on 10.2.0.4 and 44Mb on Version 22.214.171.124.0),
- Download instant Client Package – SQL*Plus – size only 800Kb on 10.2.0.4 and 126.96.36.199.0
- You can download another package if you want, but only those above were mandatory
- Create new folder on your main hard drive, I choose to create: “c:\oracle\instantclient”
- Then, extract your all package into c:\oracle\instantclient
- after finished, from your desktop computer, access environment file, Start > My Computer > right Click > choose PROPERTIES
- From GENERAL tab, choose ADVANCED tab
- Click on ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES button on bottom region (startup and recovery)
- On top region, click new variables, and create variable Name: TNS_ADMIN with value C:\oracle\instantclient
- On bottom region, find PATH variable, and click EDIT
- Add your location path into your last words after enter “;” (without quotes) value
- Create new variable with NLS_LANG (find out more on NLS_LANG on http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_nls_lang.htm ) enter your selected language, I enter AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 for my value (you can enter your value within this http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/globalization/htdocs/nls_lang%20faq.htm#_Toc110410557 option)
- Restart your system
- Install your TOAD or TORA, or if you like, you can use native sqlplus from oracle.
- Create new file TNSNAMES.ora with your editor, or you can have it from your DBA man.
- Place the TNSNAMES.ora on “C:\oracle\instantclient”
- Run TOAD or TORA
- Enter your username, password and connection string from TNS files, you see TOAD now can read all the necessary information to connect with your database.
- You are connected to your database without have to install oracle client anymore:-)
Help, my connection not work, an error come out with message: ORA-12705: Cannot Access NLS data files or invalid environment specified.
This error show because you have NLS_LANG variable with wrong or not complete value, review your value base on http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/globalization/htdocs/nls_lang%20faq.htm#_Toc110410557
Help, I have error when connect with my TOAD, error “OCI version 188.8.131.52.0 is not supported” come out.
This because your TOAD isn’t compatible with your instant client, download and install previous version from oracle instant client page http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html
I need to run SQLDR80.exe aka. Sql loader, can I have this on my machine without have to install the oracle client too?
Interesting question, till now I still have no idea, any open idea that could solve this issue?